Wednesday, May 25, 2011

AIG sells stock at $29, Ouch to Gov't, Fairholme

AIG is now down 31% from where I suggested to Bruce Berkowitz that he at least hedge, if not sell, his huge exposure. That's over 3 1/2 months !

JOE is down 21% in the same period.

MBI is down about 29% in the same period.

That's a huge ouch.

If BB were a hedge fund, as opposed to a mutual fund, his investors would have bailed by now.


I know this sounds like I think BB deserves criticism, or I don't like him, or something. That is just not the case. I only met him briefly that one time and I think he's a smart guy w/ a very good track record.

I am just mystified by the strategy of loading up on these dogs; riding them to huge gains; NOT CASHING OUT, and not hedging them ! His initial strategy, however counter-intuitive worked. But he didn't ring the register and is now paying the price.

Good luck Bruce. I would be interested in your thoughts on what happens next for your holdings in these names.

No comments:

Post a Comment